Hello and questions..

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jul 3 12:40:30 CEST 2014

Hi Adrian,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2014, 11:26 +0100 schrieb Adrian Wilkins:
> * Can arbtt aggregate mutliple event logs?
>
> The reason I ask is that my typical working day is conducted across two
> machines - my work-issued Windows laptop, and my personal Linux
> installation. The vast bulk of the work takes place on the Linux
> machine, so I imagine it would be a fair representation of my work time
> in the main, but I do sometimes have to switch to the Windows machine
> (for emails, for example).

in principle, yes. Most reports (everything but the interval report,
IIRC) works correctly if you have samples in the wrong oder. So you can
use "arbtt-dump --format=Show" to export your various binary logs,
concatenate them and load them back into a new file with
"arbtt-import".

Eventually we can consider supporting passing --logfile multiple times
to arbtt-stats.

> * Can arbtt sample mouse position?
>
> I switch between the machines via two methods ; one is by using remote
> desktop, the other by Synergy (a network mouse/keyboard sharing program)
> ; I can imagine there might be a place for logging the mouse position at
> time of sampling for this reason - ordinarily it would be useless
> information but when using Synergy you could write rules based on
> whether the mouse was actually on the screen of the machine that is
> logging. (can already write rules to ignore all events collected while
> using a remote desktop, or allocate the time out depending on the
> machine being connected to).

Currently, arbtt does nothing about the mouse position. With Synergy,
what X window is under the mouse when it appears to you as if you are
working on the other machine? I would expect that you can somehow tell
the two situations apart by looking at the active window, but I don’t
know the details of Synergy.

> * Can arbtt aggregate other sources of events?
>
> I guess this is a corollary to the above - if, for example, someone were
> to write something that rummaged through your Outlook calendar and
> produced appropriate TimeLogEntry objects for the calendar event ; if
> I'm in a meeting, I want to book all the time in that meeting to the
> instigator of that meeting (regardless of what I'm actually doing IN the
> meeting).

That is not supported out of the box. But you can easily emulate that
using a small program that just gives you a text input box (or a drop
down or whatever) and puts the information into its title. Then you can
match on that program’s title.

Greetings,
Joachim

--