Hello and questions..

Adrian Wilkins adrian.wilkins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:26:59 CEST 2014

Hi there.

Having just spent a day in Timesheet Hell I have sworn to automate the
process as much as possible.

I conceived of something that had three stages

1. Record information about what I was doing
2. Process the log to distil values for each project / task
3. Automatically upload the digests to our time-tracking system
   * We use Redmine

I even got so far as to test some code to do stage 1 on Windows.... but
lo and behold, arbtt would seem to do stages 1 and 2 already - on both
the platforms I use. Hooray! This underscores just why I love the Free
Software community.

So ; questions (and apologies if they are questions that have already
been asked)

* Can arbtt aggregate mutliple event logs?

The reason I ask is that my typical working day is conducted across two
machines - my work-issued Windows laptop, and my personal Linux
installation. The vast bulk of the work takes place on the Linux
machine, so I imagine it would be a fair representation of my work time
in the main, but I do sometimes have to switch to the Windows machine
(for emails, for example).

* Can arbtt sample mouse position?

I switch between the machines via two methods ; one is by using remote
desktop, the other by Synergy (a network mouse/keyboard sharing program)
; I can imagine there might be a place for logging the mouse position at
time of sampling for this reason - ordinarily it would be useless
information but when using Synergy you could write rules based on
whether the mouse was actually on the screen of the machine that is
logging. (can already write rules to ignore all events collected while
using a remote desktop, or allocate the time out depending on the
machine being connected to).

* Can arbtt aggregate other sources of events?

I guess this is a corollary to the above - if, for example, someone were
to write something that rummaged through your Outlook calendar and
produced appropriate TimeLogEntry objects for the calendar event ; if
I'm in a meeting, I want to book all the time in that meeting to the
instigator of that meeting (regardless of what I'm actually doing IN the
meeting).