Listing samples which are not matched by any tags?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Sep 17 12:24:06 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 03.09.2014, 15:32 -0400 schrieb Gwern Branwen:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Joachim Breitner
> <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:
> > No, but the manual is quite short on “how do I do X”. Would you be
> > interesting in contributing here? I think that _not_ being a developer
> > is an advantage when writing good documentation.
>
> Maybe. I may not be an arbtt developer, but I'm still not a regular
> user.

Not sure what you mean. As far as I know, you might actually be the only
user :-)

> Regardless, I think some of the tricks and observations I made
> while working with arbtt are worth including in the manual; the manual
> currently gives one little idea how one would actually go about
> effectively using arbtt. I wrote up some thoughts in Markdown (below)

Great, thanks a lot!

I have included it (conversion was very easy, thanks to the amazing
"pandoc"), and did one round of copy-editing – as a separate patch, if
you want to review the changes. In particular, I found it nicer to
address the user directly with "you", instead of "one".

> - I have never used that XML stuff you are using and would probably
> muck it up, so hopefully you can convert the Markdown version to XML.

Don’t be afraid of editing the docbook directly, it’s rather simple, and
running "make" will tell if you broke something, and immediately give
you the HTML output if not. And it has some possibilities that pandoc
does not have, such as linking to other sections, special mark-up for
examples etc.

And if in doubt, you can still use markdown and convert it using
pandoc :-)

Anyways, thanks a lot!
Joachim
--