arbtt as a library?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Sep 30 13:20:40 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am Montag, den 30.09.2013, 12:08 +0100 schrieb Oliver Charles:
> Loving arbtt, but ultimately I want to be shoveling the data I capture
> with it into other tools. An immediate goal is to have Beeminder watch
> over things to make sure I don't do too much of them. As such, it would
> be nice if I could capture with arbtt-capture, and then query this data
> myself in my own applications.
>
> I'm thinking of an API that basically does what arbtt-report does, but I
> give it either a single rule, or a rule file as a AST, and I get back a
> list of matches.
>
> Is there any interest/prior work in doing this?

Definitely no prior art. I’m not sure about interest: Supporting a
library is more costly than supporting a program, due to API stability
issues and the like; the arbtt project and eco system is rather small,
so I’m worried that it would be overburdened with it.

For quick experiments and proof of concepts, you can of course simply
take the arbtt code and use the various modules of it as a library (if
you want to program in Haskell).

> As an aside, I thought I could make do with the csv output, but I can't
> pipe that:
>

> ollie at io ~> arbtt-stats -c IRC --output-format=csv | grep -i haskell
> arbtt-stats: ioctl: invalid argument (Invalid argument)

For now I’d prefer interaction and integration via the commands. I just
fixed this particular bug in the darcs repository.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner