Visualizing Daily Usage Statistics

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Dec 1 15:45:55 CET 2014

Hi,

Am Montag, den 01.12.2014, 20:02 +0530 schrieb rejuvyesh:

> Currently there are a lot of issues with `categorize.cfg` handling. We
> can define tags such that they never add up to 100% or add up to more
> than 100% of the total time arbtt has captured. Handling that,
> generally enough seems quite complicated (any suggestions are of
> course welcome). This is the reason, even I am not using my default
> `categorize.cfg` file here. So you are correct that the tags are
> assumed to form an exclusive set.

I think this can be solved by categories. How about this: The user is
expected to assign tags to a specific category (e.g. Graph:). Your tool
will simply ignore all other tags, and just plots all tags of the form
to Graph:*. This should guarantee that they never add up to more than
100%. This may also solve the problem of measuring the unmatched time,
at least if you build on the output of "arbtt-stats --category Graph"

Bonus points for making the name of the category configurable with a
command line argument to your tool, and maybe even supporting multiple
pie charts next to each other.

> Till then I had some issues, like handling things which I haven't been
> able to track with tags and want to tag as say "others". Right now I
> would have to exclude every other tag and then find them to add them
> to the `json` files. It would be really great if there was some way to
> add to the config file to automatically mark everything untagged as
> say "others".

If you use the "arbtt-stats --category" report, it will report unmatched
time. In fact, with
$ arbtt-stats --category Program --for-each=day --output-format csv
you should get the numbers for the pie charts directly, without further
processing

For the other reports, where tags are generally overlapping an automatic
"other" tag might be less useful.

Greetings,
Joachim

--