Hello and questions..

Adrian Wilkins adrian.wilkins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 15:05:02 CEST 2014

On 03/07/14 12:55, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> well, if the separate programs (which put additional information into
> their title) run on the same machine as the browser, arbtt will take the
> samples together, and there is no need to merge them.

Yeah, the idea of making hidden windows works nicely (maybe a little
systray applet that collects information and holds a collection of
objects that arbtt-capture can see), but I still like the idea of having
programs that you don't need to run 100% of the time for things like
calendars that are not as dynamic as user activity.

> But it is of course a valid feature request to intelligently merge log
> files from two machines so that simultaneous samples appear as one
> sample. But it is rather specialized and non-trival (what to do with
> non-matching sampling rates, e.g.), so it’s not on my TODO list yet.

I'm guessing that a more limited case where sample rates must match
would be the best start there ; I don't like the prospect of matching
events with different sample rates up either ; clock drift and different
process start times are bad enough.

In any case... getting it to work at all on Windows would seem to be a
challenge, which makes my multi-machine ambitions a moot point right now
- still getting that permission denied problem, even when I run the
application elevated, although I'm not sure what's causing it - as
mentioned, we have some pretty heinous corporate malware installed. The
alternate approach I tried that didn't involve OpenProcess seems to work
without issues just from my little hacky C# application, so I shall see
about sorting that out when I have a spare minute.

Until then, I'll be tracking my other minutes on my Linux boxes with
more accuracy :-)