Hello and questions..

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jul 3 13:55:51 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2014, 12:48 +0100 schrieb Adrian Wilkins:
> >>   If you could aggregate logs, programs
> >> that served as alternate event sources would just naturally feed into
> >> that feature.
> >
> > Sorry, I can’t follow. How is that related to aggregating logs?
> >

> I was thinking that in order for the separate program(s) discussed above
> to produce useful inputs for arbtt-stats, it would have to aggregrate
> the data in those logs together such that all events for a given sample
> are considered part of the same TimeLogEntry (when being categorized).
>
> e.g. for the hypothetical meeting analyzer program, if it produces a
> TimeLogEntry for each minute of your meeting, you wouldn't want to
> consider those separately to the other TimeLogEntry objects logged by
> arbtt-capture (I take my laptop to meetings and the activity logged
> would disagree with the meeting category in some cases).
>
> ----  meeting-analyzer log
> 2014-07-03 12:32:00 Meeting:$title="Meeting about tortoises"
> ----  arbtt-capture log
> 2014-07-03 12:32:05 Program:$title="Web browser : page about snakes"
>
> Rule sets that considered Meeting to take priority over everything else
> would still put the second log entry in the "Project:Snakes" category
> rather than the "Project:Tortoises" category, because that entry has no
> Meeting.

well, if the separate programs (which put additional information into
their title) run on the same machine as the browser, arbtt will take the
samples together, and there is no need to merge them.

But it is of course a valid feature request to intelligently merge log
files from two machines so that simultaneous samples appear as one
sample. But it is rather specialized and non-trival (what to do with
non-matching sampling rates, e.g.), so it’s not on my TODO list yet.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner