Hello and questions..

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jul 3 13:26:52 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2014, 12:06 +0100 schrieb Adrian Wilkins:
> On 03/07/14 11:40, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Hi Adrian,
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2014, 11:26 +0100 schrieb Adrian Wilkins:
> >> * Can arbtt aggregate mutliple event logs?
>
> > in principle, yes. Most reports (everything but the interval report,
> > IIRC) works correctly if you have samples in the wrong oder. So you can
> > use "arbtt-dump --format=Show" to export your various binary logs,
> > concatenate them and load them back into a new file with
> > "arbtt-import".
> >

> On looking I'm thinking it might be appropriate to merge the set of
> CaptureData for a given sample interval together (assuming that the two
> machines are operating on the same clock time, you could work out which
> TimeLogEntry items go together even with slight clock drift, and merge
> their CaptureData sets, or is this overthinking things?)

ah, I see. You are working on two machines simultaneously. That’s
currently not supported and would be non-trivial.

> >> * Can arbtt aggregate other sources of events?
>
> > That is not supported out of the box. But you can easily emulate that
> > using a small program that just gives you a text input box (or a drop
> > down or whatever) and puts the information into its title. Then you can
> > match on that program’s title.
> >

> That would be a neat workaround ; just open a notepad with a file titled
> "MeetingFor<project>.txt" (for notepads that show the filename in the
> title) :-)
>
> I'm envisaging a program that goes through your calendar and adds
> entries for each minute of the meeting along with it's title / requester
> / etc ; keeping in with the spirit of no interruptions and not having to
> manually remember to do things.

Right. And this program can be technically completely independent from
arbtt, in the spirit of Unix and its small dedicated tools.

>  If you could aggregate logs, programs
> that served as alternate event sources would just naturally feed into
> that feature.

Sorry, I can’t follow. How is that related to aggregating logs?

> My Haskell is virtually non-existent, but then my time-logging blues are
> intense, so my motivation to try and help is strong :-)

Great :-). And a few things you can do without Haskell, anyways.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner