Feedback and improvements

kleinempfaenger at hotmail.com kleinempfaenger at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 20 00:16:55 CEST 2013

El 19/07/13 03:29, Joachim Breitner escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 19.07.2013, 00:35 -0400 schrieb
> kleinempfaenger at hotmail.com:
>> First a little error warning, that I received after some days of
>> recording (>700kB)
>>
>> familia at familia-Satellite-L845:~$ arbtt-stats
>> Processing data
>> [=================================>.......................]  58%
>> arbtt-stats: Unsupported TimeLogEntry version tag 0
> sounds like the file is corrupted. The most likely cause is that you
> have been going forth and back between versions in a strange way, or
> that you have hit a really unlucky moment of killing arbtt-capture.
Yes, that's the case. I upgraded to the last version.

> [...]
>>
>> familia at familia-Satellite-L845:~$ arbtt-stats -f '$sampleage <24:00'
>> Total time per tag
>> ==================
>> ___________________Tag_|___Time_|_Percentage_
>> Program:gnome-terminal |  3m00s |     100.00
>>                  active |  3m00s |     100.00
>>

>> familia at familia-Satellite-L845:~$ arbtt-stats -i -f '$sampleage <24:00'
>> General Information
>> ===================
>>                         FirstRecord | 2013-07-19 01:55:52.456123 UTC
>>                          LastRecord | 2013-07-19 01:57:52.531737 UTC
>>                   Number of records |                              3
>>                 Total time recorded |                          3m00s
>>                 Total time selected |                          3m00s
>>     Fraction of total time recorded |                           150%
>>     Fraction of total time selected |                           150%
>> Fraction of recorded time selected |                           100%
>>
>> familia at familia-Satellite-L845:~$ arbtt-stats -f '$sampleage <24:00' -i
>> General Information
>> ===================
>>                         FirstRecord | 2013-07-19 01:55:52.456123 UTC
>>                          LastRecord | 2013-07-19 01:58:52.597183 UTC
>>                   Number of records |                              4
>>                 Total time recorded |                          4m00s
>>                 Total time selected |                          4m00s
>>     Fraction of total time recorded |                           133%
>>     Fraction of total time selected |                           133%
>> Fraction of recorded time selected |                           100%
>>
>> First case shows, that -f -parameter works. When -i enters (before or
>> after), -f wont be processed.
> It does here:
>
> $ arbtt-stats -i
> General Information
> ===================
>                        FirstRecord | 2009-08-21 10:16:44.951741 UTC
>                         LastRecord | 2013-07-19 07:20:17.463614 UTC
>                  Number of records |                         616191
>                Total time recorded |                  427d21h51m00s
>                Total time selected |                  294d08h14m00s
>    Fraction of total time recorded |                            30%
>    Fraction of total time selected |                            21%
> Fraction of recorded time selected |                            69%
> $ arbtt-stats -i -f '$sampleage < 24:00'
> General Information
> ===================
>                        FirstRecord | 2009-08-21 10:16:44.951741 UTC
>                         LastRecord | 2013-07-19 07:21:17.526257 UTC
>                  Number of records |                         616192
>                Total time recorded |                  427d21h52m00s
>                Total time selected |                       8h07m00s
>    Fraction of total time recorded |                            30%
>    Fraction of total time selected |                             0%
> Fraction of recorded time selected |                             0%
>
> Note that the filter only affects the "selected" time; the recorded time
> will always be everything. In your case it seems that there are only
> samples from within the last 24h -- maybe due to the corruption above.

Yes, my example was very special, as I had just resetted the
capture.log. What I mean is, that when I use the -i parameter, the data
analysis per tag wouldn't be shown afterwards. That is not a big
problem, I wanted to create daily reports, starting with "General
information" and afterwards "Total time per tag"-Information. How could
I do that?

>> Instead of graphical reports (probably intended as a step towards
>> endusers?) I would propose easier-to-use filters. In conclusion I always
>> come to think about a little gui with quickfilter for arbtt-stats, to
>> get an overview of the recorded data. Maybe graphical reports could be
>> for now made with existing statistics programs, or just
>> Calc-Spreadsheets. I weren't able run the export-function (tried several
>> times), maybe somebody could explain this. So everything still runs over
>> the terminal, but I could experiment about it. The point is to group and
>> scale the data, to generate usefull graphics for different needs.
> You can get all reports also as comma separated values, which can be
> imorted into spreadsheets, e.g.
> $ arbtt-stats --category=Program --output-format=csv
>
> I'm not sure how well the time format works in these programs, though.

I will try it out. And I also saw, that somebody tried to import
arbtt-data in Hamster. That sounds interesting.
It's a bit repeated, but I believe, that this program could be very
useful for a lot of persons. For now it lacks of a tool to analyse the
reported data without the need to learn the syntax. The question behind
that is, what to use it for.

>> Another improvement would be the automatic(?) separation of the
>> capture.log file (Maybe this is meant by "Possibly more data sources" in
>> Readme?). The program could save and reset capture.log periodically.
>> This could also be done by the export-function (export capture.log every
>> week, month etc.). In this case the whole record would stay intact.
> Why would you want to separate the capture.log file? To make it easier
> to select a certain timespan? That should be possible with filters.

I thought about that because of the corrupted file mentioned and to keep
just the necessary data after some weeks of recording. Especially when
analyzing data with other programs it would be nice to work just with
the relevant timespan. But I still have to try out the export function.

> Thanks for your suggestions,
> Joachim

Greetings