Some feedback

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Jun 25 09:25:11 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 25.06.2013, 02:47 +0100 schrieb Waldir Pimenta:
> That's excellent, thanks a lot! I do agree that arbtt-dump should be
> kept separate from the categorization, but on the other hand I assume
> it will be faster for arbtt to output a subset of its entries directly
> than to, say, pipe the whole output to grep. Could there be a simple
> grep-like (regex support would be ideal but simple string matching
> would already be great) ability to limit arbtt-dump's output to
> entries whose program or title match a given search?

I see the need. Adding reges support or anything the like will just lead
to something similar than what arbtt-stats does. I guess I could
refactor the code that the non-tagging part of the categorization
language is available to arbtt-dump. But from there it is but a small
step to allow the language to define tags, and then people want to use
the rules they have in categorize.cfg, and then arbtt-dump turns into
arbtt-stats.

The solution could go the other way: Add a --dump option to arbtt-stats
that acts like another report and outputs the selected samples.

> Also, in the human-readable output, I think it would be nice to omit
> timestamp components that are smaller than arbtt's set frequency. For
> example, if arbtt is set to use the default frequency of one sample
> per minute, it doesn't make sense to have every entry showing the
> seconds, since they'll be the same for every entry. Even if this would
> make the logic too complicated, a simple removal of the sub-second
> resolution time data would be useful for readability (again, for the
> human output format), IMO.

Yes, seconds-only sounds good. Done.
The frequency could (theoretically) change within one dump.

> Finally, a nitpick: isn't interoperability (rather than operability)
> the right term for describing the rationale for JSON output?

Nitpicks are welcome; fixed.

Oh, an idea for the homepage: A section testimonials, where users (like
you ;-)) describe in one short paragraph what they use arbtt for and if
they have found something interesting.

Greetings,
Joachim

--