Listing samples which are not matched by any tags?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Jul 5 18:44:39 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 05.07.2014, 12:38 -0400 schrieb Gwern Branwen:
> Trying that out now, it seems to work! If I throw in an "| fgrep
> '(*)'" to look at the active window only, it looks even better.
>
> I can see a lot of programs I've failed to classify (eg when Google
> Reader shut down, I switched to a local RSS reader, Liferea, but
> forgot to add it to arbtt), and I've spotted a few instances where my
> rule didn't actually work. (eg I had been matching the program
> 'FBReader' for tagging time spent reading ebooks, but now that I look
> at the samples, it seems the program is actually 'fbreader' and it's
> the *title* which has 'FBReader' in it. I don't know if FBReader
> changed its X properties at some point or if I simply confused program
> with title when I was looking at it in `xprop`, but either way, it's
> not working.)

glad to hear it works (and it clearly demonstrates the usefulness of the
a posteriori approach that we take here).

> This seems like a critical tool for debugging one's arbtt rules and
> expanding them. Has a discussion of this been added to the manual? I
> only see a mention that the option exists in `docs/arbtt.xml`.

No, but the manual is quite short on “how do I do X”. Would you be
interesting in contributing here? I think that _not_ being a developer
is an advantage when writing good documentation.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner