Windows build of ARBTT

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jul 3 13:29:43 CEST 2014

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2014, 11:51 +0100 schrieb Adrian Wilkins:
> More questions from the noob ...
>
> * Is there a technical reason why the Windows build of ARBTT has lagged
> behind the Linux build so much, or is it just inertia about building it?

Inertia. I’m not aware of any Windows users... (and the for building it
I need to install Haskell and mingw and the installer and stuff under
wine, which is quite annoying).

I would be very happy if someone would step up and maintain the Windows
version of it, given that I don’t run windows and can’t properly test
this.

> From my POV I'll process the stats on my Linux machine, so if
> arbtt-capture still has the same capability and format, I don't mind so
> much.. but...
>
> * I tried to start up the current 0.61 version and got
>
> OpenProcess: permission denied
>
> This seems to be a problem with requesting the PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION
> permission. PROCESS_QUERY_LIMITED_INFORMATION might be more appropriate
> (but XP has no such permission level).
>
> Also our corporate image has some unpleasant corporate malware on it,
> and I'm not making any effort to start arbtt-capture with elevated
> rights. I managed to collect window titles from the current focussed
> window by using hooks without this kind of problem and without
> elevating, so maybe alternate approaches / Win32 API calls might be
> worth looking at.

Hmm. I guess this needs someone to look into it, but that won’t be me...
it can be you, though :-)

Greetings,
Joachim

--