several feature suggestion

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Dec 29 16:25:45 CET 2013

Dear Oren,

nice to hear that you can make good use of arbtt. I’m always interested
in user reports, especially if you actually found out something
interesting with it. If you write such a report somewhere (blog,
Google+, etc.), let us know here!

Am Samstag, den 28.12.2013, 12:07 +0200 schrieb Oren Gampel:

> 1) --local-z flag for arbtt-dump that will print each TimeLogEntry at
> the local timezone

arbtt-dump is mostly meant for debugging and integration, not so much
for human consumption. But since you are using it that way, there might
be a different feature lacking elsewhere. When and why are you looking
at the output of arbtt-dump?

Anyways, I implemented the feature, check out the development repository
if you want to try it (which would be appreciated).

> 2) Workspace logging. I've seen it implemented in other time trackers,
> although I have no idea how difficult it is to implement it for the
> different environments.
> I'm using KDA with Plasma Desktop. I
> get (True,"plasma-desktop","plasma-desktop") entries but since there
> is no desktop number or name there is not much analysys that can be
> done. Using different     workspaces for different tasks is extremely
> common in multiple workspace/desktop environments and can add very
> good basis for analysing time usage.
> Since I only saw few (True,"plasma-desktop","plasma-desktop") and much
> more (False,"plasma-desktop","Plasma"), I suspect the true entry is
> logged only when the workspace switch is happening, although I'm not
> sure.

So the problem is that the plasma-desktop is showing up as the active
window? Does it then even log actual windows as active?

Does "wmctrl -l" print anything useful about workspaces? In particular
the second column?

> 3) --list-titles flag for arbtt-stats that will show for specified tag
> all the titles it has. I often find myself "debugging" by adding ...:
> $current.title just to see all the titles and this feature would be
> easier than changing the cfg every time.

Not quite sure I can follow. You want to know, for samples with a
certain tags (remember that tags are applied to samples, i.e. points in
time, and not to individual windows), what the title is – the title of
what? Of the current window?

In that case, can’t you just permanently add
        tag Current-Title:$current.title,
to your config and query it, for example, using
        arbtt-stats  --only 'Editing-Haskell' --category Current-Title
?

Greetings,
Joachim

--