Listing samples which are not matched by any tags?

Waldir Pimenta waldir at email.com
Mon Nov 4 16:51:24 CET 2013

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de>wrote:

> That leads us to the discussion we had on the list with Waldir
> in June: What should the tool like like that combines the dumping of
> arbtt-dump with the sample selection of arbtt-stats... I’m unsure about
> the proper design here.

for context about the design/strategy for arbtt-dump vs arbtt-stats (yes,
I've been lurking the list :P other stuff has been keeping me busy
meanwhile):

https://lists.nomeata.de/archive/arbtt/2013/000176.html:
<https://lists.nomeata.de/archive/arbtt/2013/000176.html>

*"arbtt-dump (...) is not meant to be a user’s tool. Its main purpose is to
debug and to convert the binary format to a non-binary format. I’d like to
see arbtt-stats the main user tool to interact with arbtt.On the other
hand, maybe I should revise this opinion. So far, arbtt-stats only reports
that somehow aggregate the data; there is no way to view the raw data
directly, and the name arbtt-dump really sounds like it should do that. So
maybe arbtt-dump should get new options: The same sample-selecting options
that arbtt-stats supports (--filter, --exclude, --only), and in addition a
--format parameter that allows to switch from the „internal“ format to some
human-readable format or some programming-accessible format (e.g. JSON). An
option to more easily select the last n samples or the samples of the last
n minutes/hours/days/week/**months/years would probably be handy as well."*

https://lists.nomeata.de/archive/arbtt/2013/000184.html:

*"I implemented parts of your suggestsions, see the documentation at
http://darcs.nomeata.de/arbtt/doc/users_guide/arbtt-dump.html
<http://darcs.nomeata.de/arbtt/doc/users_guide/arbtt-dump.html> for what is
possible now (--format and --last). --filter is actually not so easy: The
--filter from stats allows predicates that involve tags, and hence require
actual processing of the data, and requires categorize.cfg to be read. I’d
like to keep arbtt-dump at least independent of the categorization logic."*
(and following messages in that thread)